The Business course has been created so as to offer pupils a fresh new look at the world of Business. Tried and tested business practices are considered alongside more contemporary technologies and visions with the emphasis being on the application of skills, knowledge and understanding.
Pupils will develop skills, knowledge and understanding in business which will enable them to progress to both higher education and employment in such areas as Accounting, Marketing, Personnel, Retailing and Management.
- Mrs Sian Taylor (Head of Department)
- Mrs Sian Jones (Careers)
- Miss Iona Jones (Careers)
- The Business and its Environment – This unit will help you to understand how businesses organise themselves in order to meet their aims and objectives. You will investigate how ownership affects the running of the business. You will explore businesses which produce a range of different goods and services and find out how such business activities are changing in the UK as a whole. You will investigate the different functional areas of a business, how they affect each other and how they communicate.
- Business Finance & Decision Making – You will look at how businesses can measure their performance through keeping accounts and you will find out the value of ICT in helping them to manage their finances. You will learn about simple recording systems, how to interpret financial documents and how to identify different options for businesses when faced with financial decisions.
The course is a vocational one and therefore students will complete research tasks on businesses as part of their course work assignments.
Educational trips and extra-curricular activities are arranged to enhance the teaching in the classroom.
Pupils will develop key skills in the following areas:
- Problem solving
- Improving own learning and performance
- Application of number
- Working with others
- Information technology