Students studying Leisure and Tourism will be encouraged to develop their knowledge and understanding of the leisure and tourism industry whilst also developing an awareness and understanding of sustainable development and environmental issues.
New York Trip 2016
- Miss Geinor Jones
Leisure and Tourism at GCSE is a sound foundation for Travel and Tourism at A Level.
Unit 1 – In this unit, pupils will need to study and investigate the facilities used for leisure purposes by peple living within a chosen area as well as the facilities and attractions which appeal to people visiting the area as tourists.
Unit 2 – Leisure and Tourism destinations – Pupils will learn about the reasons why people travel:
- the different transport options available
- the different types of tourism destinations
- the facilities available at these destinations
- the impact of tourism on these areas
The specification is suitable for you if you are looking for a broad background in the subject of travel and tourism as well as an understanding of the travel and tourism industry.
The specification also provides you with the opportunity to aquire a range of general and vocationally -related skills, knowledge and understanding.
You will develop skills, knowledge and understanding in travel and tourism which will enable you to progress to both higher education and employment in such areas as Travel, Tourism, Marketing and Management.
You will develop Key Skills in the following areas:
- Problem Solving
- Improving own Learning and Performance
- Application of Number
- Working with Others
- Information Technology
- VisitWales www.visitwales.co.uk
- County Councils -every county in Wales has a website with a lot of information on it. For example, Pembroke (www.visitpembrokeshire.com). This site www.tourismhelp.co.uk has a library of other useful resources and documents.
- Millennium Centre Wales www.wmc.org.uk
- Millennium Stadium www.millenniumstadium.com
- Welsh National Museum – http://www.amgueddfacymru.ac.uk/ this is the home page for the 7 welsh museums.
- National Parks the official sites for the 3 Welsh parcs are:- Pembrokeshire Coast: www.pcnpa.org.uk Brecon Beacons :http://www.bannaubrycheiniog.org/ Snowdonia: www.eryri-npa.co.uk
- CADW – Cadw is the historic environment service of the Welsh Assembly Government www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
- Yr Ymddiriedolaeth Genedlaethol – www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Visit Britain – www.visitbritain.co.uk
- European Travel Commission – www.visiteurope.com
- WJEC – Travel and Tourism